Aiginio Station ~ Adendro Station
1. The cover photo is the marathon plain (red dot).
2. Today I am going to walk 26km from Aiginio to Adendro. Most of them are flat country roads, so it’s good to walk.
3. At Aiginio Station I depart at 08:56. Morning sun is bright. The recent clear weather helps traveler.
4. The village has various types of solar panels on the roofs.
8. A store selling solar heating equipments.
9. The signboard of a shop is covered with mathematical symbols. Latin characters.
I, a professor in engineering school, pays attention to these signs
10. Landscape with many trees.
11. A running train.
12. It is easy to pilgrimage on foot if walking courses and railways are side by side, and this is a replay of the convenience that has been experienced in India (East), Taiwan, and Japan.
13. A small typical village.
14. When I look at a yard, gooses are crowded.
15. They are playing between scattered agricultural machineries.
16. When you go to the shortcut that Google guides, you may experience newness.
17. I also meet this old railroad bridge. It is a leisurely road that can not be passed by car.
18. The bridge is over a large river that flows into the Aegean Sea. Already I am walking an inland course leaving the sea.
19. A rusty old bridge.
20. Thanks to Google, I walk this country way.
21. A typical road in farmland.
22. 15km straight road. I can be thoughtful for a while.
23. I think again about the early days of ancient Greece. Athens, the city state that faced with the powerful Persian Empire.
24. The decisive moment Athens began to flourish was the battle of the marathon.
The red dot is the marathon plains. I was walking along the railroad and could not pass through this marathon plains.
25. The blue is Athen’s troops and the orange is Persian troops.,The Athens army won one-sided victory in this first battle, but immediately heard that the Persian Navy was directly hitting Athens, 40 km away.
26. So all the victorious soldiers were heavily armed (over 30 kilograms) and ran that long distance to protect their families.
Finally they arrived first and defended their country successfully.
The source of this story is,
With this victory, Athens upgraded to the path of full-fledged prosperity, such as establishing Agora’s direct democratic tradition.
27. It is different from the story of marathon battle you know. It is a story that makes you think a lot.
The desperate mind of those heavily armed soldiers who run 40 kilometers.
28. When I arrive at Platy around two o’clock, the passing person gets out of his car and asks me carefully in details: I think my walking picture will be shown in this town.
29. It was a small town and Saturday, so the restaurant was not opened.
30. Only this wonderful café opened.
31. I told the young manager ‘I am hungry’ without any hesitation. She said that there is a sandwich menu.
I ate it in full.
32. Take a selfie with the pretty manager.
33. Before I left, I saw my image in the mirror.
34. The Orthodox Church in the center of town.
35. You can see the village of Adendro, the destination.
36. Looking back on the way I walked.
37. A fountain in the middle of town.
38. A kindergarten I met on my way back to Thessaloniki for dinner. A birthday party is in progress.
It’s a vivid scene of a community that’s not easy to spot.
39. There is also a scene where new buildings and cultural assets coexist in contrasting manner.