Arch of Constantine ~ Spanish Steps ~ Vatican 5km
1. Today’s headline photo is the arrival article reported by the Italian press Il Messaggero.
2. After taking a day off, today’s slow course is to walk 5 km from Arc de Triomphe to the Vatican City via Plaza de Spagna.
3. Selfie before departure from the Arc de Triomphe.
4. A view of the Colosseum right next to it.
5. Around Foro Romano
12. I can also see the imagination drawings of ancient Rome.
13. This is the age in which Caesar lived.
16. I arrived at Trevi Fountain.
17. Selfie with the security guards.
19. Supporters from Korea join me at Plaza de Spagna.
20. The road to the Vatican cross the Tevere River. This is the third time for me to cross the river on foot.
21. Upstream photo. The river flow has been greatly reduced.
22. The Supreme Court building is nice.
23. Break time.
25. Eventually, I can see Cathedral of St. Peter, a symbol of Vatican City.
28. Passing tourists are interested in pilgrimage. Commemorative photo together.
32. Alessandro Rosi, a reporter of Il Messengero newspaper, who announced our arrival, also came to meet me.
33. Selfie with reporter Rosi in St. Peter’s Square in the Vatican.
Now, let’s make a prayer request.
<Prayer after Arrival at the Vatican>
It was a long and difficult journey. I put hope in every step of the way, however, because every step was to aspire the safety of global life including the humans. Five years ago, Life & No-Nuke pilgrims departed from Seoul in May 2017 and reached the Vatican in August 2022 by walking 8,200 km through 26 countries.
First of all, I would like to express my thanks to everyone who have supported me so far.
The mankind is living under crisis, as seen in dangerous situation of Ukraine’s Zaporiza nuclear power plant. Efforts to overcome the crisis are still insignificant. Although the United Nations was formed after significant risk of nuclear war, international efforts to respond to nuclear power plant accidents are not worthy of notice.
We need a new decision-making system that can exercise human self-restoring capability. The reality of present global community proves that collective system of national powers cannot prevent even the barbaric war which Russia started. ‘Cause and effect’ works all the time. The Earth refuses to be the home of many lives anymore due to the evil deeds committed by mankind for a long time. It’s a time when we need to rally energy of the people who yearn for peace. We need the power of religious community which the people rely on. We need the power of solidarity.
It’s a journey that we set out to lend the power of respectful religious leaders. In the meantime of pilgrimage, I heard valuable words from His Holiness the Dalai Lama of Buddhism and His Holiness Patriarch Bartholomew of Orthodox Church. And I delivered our wishes for the safety and peace of the Earth and mankind.
I hope to meet His Holiness Pope Francis. I want to deliver our hope which was carried by walking for five years. I hope sincerely to listen to precious words of His Holiness Pope Francis.
August 25th, 2022
Arriving at the Vatican,
Won-young Lee, New Silk Road for Life & No-Nukes Pilgrimage