Polykastro ~ Border ~ Gevgelija
1. Cover photo is map of the border. It requires wisdom for me to cross border. I walk to the border, and I have to carry my baggage. When there is local bus crossing the border it is an easy work. But there is no bus service here. I have to do both walking and carrying baggage.
2. I stayed one day at Park Hotel. I was discussing the method to carry baggage with the young manager of the hotel. His grandfather listened to our conversation, and he proposed me that he would carry my baggage for ten euros. Thanks. The taxi would cost me 30 euros.
I walked 15 km from Polykastro at lower place of the map to Evzonoi. Then I used his car to go 4 km up to the border(white line). And I used taxi to go 5 km from the border to Gevgelija village.
3. I made an appointment to meet at 12 o’clock with the grandfather, and started to walk at 8:30 in the morning. I walked country road.
5. There are many dogs in Greece. Since I started pilgrimage from Seoul, I rememer that I was bitten by dog twice, one in Vietnam and the other in Thailand. I was not hurt in Vietnam, but I had injury in Thailand. It was in October 2017. At that time, I could find a general hospital nearby. I received emergency care and I was recovered fortunately. Afterwards I became beware of dog. From my experience, a barking dog does not bite. I stare eyes of barking dog straight and express my hospitality, then the dog goes calm. I have to be careful against a dog approaching without barking. It has hostility. it approaches me in the back, and aims at me. In this case, my flagpole becomes a threatening weapon against the dog.
6. I walked for a while along the railroad.
8. There was a deserted house at the hill.
12. In a moment, I entered an unnamed road.
13. Google map shows that I went astray.
14. I was embarrassed, but I continued enjoying the landscape.
15. Soon I found a transmitting tower. If I go up toward the tower, then I would meet main course.
16. The transmitting tower is operated by solar energy.
17. I met road and walked again. I met soldiers in training operation at the open ridge of the mountain. It reminds me that this is border. I did not take photo.
18. Now I am at main road.
19. There was a mountain covered with snow far away beyond the village.
22. Now I say bye to Greek land.
25. I took a rest at this place.
26. I approach Evzonoi village, destination.
27. I met the grandfather who carried my baggage. I walked to the border together, and took a selfie with him.
28. His car was made by Hyundai.
29. I took a selfie with the officials of the border office. There was not any person who cross the border like me with baggage and walking.
30. This woman whom I spoke firstly was a mother with three kids. She approached me closely and took a photo with her handphone.
31. I walked with baggage 500 meters between two border offices
32. I entered North Macedonia without dealy. There is no entrance fee. Now I crossed the first border in Europe. This country was liberated from Yugoslavia in 1991. The name of Macedonia was given after long struggle.
33. I was going to find a taxi stop in order to go to the village 5 km apart by taxi. I was pulling my heavy baggage, and a passenger car stopped in front of me. We negotiated over the fee, and finally I agreed to pay 300 denari (6,000 Korean won).
34. Gevgelija is a hub of transporation, and have a population of 22,000. The total population of the country is 2,100,000.
35. I ate shrimp for lunch at a high-class restaurant located in the center of the village. It cost me 650 denari (13,000 Koreand won). I thought it was a little bit expensive.
36. I deposited my baggage at this restaurant, and walked to mobile center in order to buy usim chip.
38. Mobile center.
39. The price of chip was cheap, 650 denari for 8 GB (13,000 Korean won). This is the telephone number I use in this country. You may dial +389 7185 3058 in Korea when you want to call me. For kakao talk and telegram there is no change.
41. Sample of solar energy module is displayed at shop.
42. I ordered coffee at coffee shop. Americano coffee is made by pouring hot water doubly to espresso. The price was 60 denari (1200 Korean won).
43. I made a reservation of this apartment-type hotel at downtown through internet. It was clean and cheap. I paid 36 euros for two nights. I am going to take rest the whole day of tomorrow.
Categories: 15. Greece, 16. Republic of Macedonia, Course and Diary
Leave a Reply